You didn’t ask me, but having some background in education, here are my thoughts:
- Not all in-school socialization is positive. There is bullying, shaming, and negative peer pressure, as well as outright mocking of children who are different in any way, even if their names are odd. Taking them out of the public schools allows a parent to monitor their socialization and minimize the negative.
- There are homeschooler groups in every urban area now. These groups organize group-based school activities such as band, science labs, sports, and (for older kids) even dances and proms, etc., so homeschool kids have group opportunities.
- There are always sports activities that are not school related to participate in. The kids can be in baseball, soccer, swimming, gymnastics, dance, martial arts, from age 4 on.
- The YMCA is extremely strong on setting up group activities for children which are crafts-based, such as cooking and art, as well as having group sports and things like swimming lessons, etc. The YMCA is perfect for homeschool families.
- Also, there is church, synogugue, and mosque, all of which have activities if they are large enough to support them.
Bottom line is you don’t need a public school for socialization.