We want SINGLE PAYER HEALTHCARE! Period.
Well, not everyone does. :-)
You’d be setting yourself up for a good deal of irony. To wit:
- When it comes to Medicare, Medicaid, and the VA, estimates of waste, fraud, and abuse (“WFA”)made by various organizations are usually quite high. I think we can all agree that the government doesn’t know how to control WFA.
- However, this is NOT a problem that plagues Aetna, UNH, Humana, and the rest of the insurers. They run a very tight ship, as anyone who has had to contest an issue with them knows.
- So, if we went to single payer, almost immediately there would be a plague of WFA for the 55–60% of health care that was NOT vended through Medicare, Medicaid, and the VA.
- If the government were smart (yes, big IF) they would admit that they don’t have the expertise or the systems knowledge to control WFA.
- So, the logical thing to do would be to……hire the same insurers you just cut loose to manage the system for you. For which they would charge you the same profit margin they’re making today, which compared to the WFA, would suddenly look…..cheap. :-)
So, ultimately, you wouldn’t save any money, but the entire exercise would be amusing, for sure.