Unfortunately Kady, when the Democrats do connect to their base
I’m not altogether sure if they HAVE a base, really. What is it?
- 90% of African Americans, connect or not
- 70% of Latinos, connect or not
- For all practical purposes, all the LGBTQ’s
- Abortion advocates, environmentalists, and miscellaneous SJW’s.
- 80% of people with advanced degrees.
That’s not nearly enough to win an election, once you consider turnout. The large groups there are 1 and 2, and they tend not to turn out in great numbers; 100% of 3–4–5 turn out, but those are really tiny groups.
To win, they depend on the generational votes from others, which they are working hard to chase away (Covington Catholic, calling the Knights of Columbus alt-right, etc.) and the retirees (it’s not the GOP which sounds like they want to mess with Medicare), which as a % of the electorate will continue to grow until 2045 or so.
I have no idea what will happen in 2020 (you’d think Trump would be Dead Man Walking, but the Dem contenders look like a clown car), but when Trump is no longer a factor in 2024……..well, they need a base.